Old 05-11-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by javamama View Post
I wish I can just sit and enjoy a movie or relax without wine, but its like I don't enjoy anything as much as when I have wine.
I understand where you're coming from cos I felt the same at one point. I think I would have been embarrassed to admit to it though. I was always ashamed of how much I loved drinking. And it really didn't end up like that. I am slightly curious that if you enjoy drinking that much why you are trying to quit? You're giving us all the pros but where are the cons? There must be some reason you're here right? At one point I was merely concerned at the amount I drank but it eventually made me virtually suicidal. The obsession can easily get out of hand before you realise it.

As for anything you wish to do, don't wish it, do it! I always saw the whole enjoying stuff with a drink as a conditioned response. Because I did everything with a drink in my hand I came to expect it when I did stuff and eventually didn't know how I'd do anything without it. I changed a lot of my habits when I first quit to avoid associations and then just kept on ticking of those sober 'firsts' til I had done everything sober. It takes a while though. Even a year down the line I am retraining myself to listen to jazz without Gin. It might feel odd for a while but you'll be comfortable enjoying your relaxing time without alcohol before you know it x