Old 05-11-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
miyako

I haven't found a need for it. I am something between agnostic and atheist. For many years the idea of using AA for recovery just about paralyzed me because the spiritual emphasis went against my grain. My attitude from the beginning has been opposite of AA: Yes I DO have power over alcohol; I can decide not to drink it.

My battle has been quite difficult. I tried to stop many times and could not. I finally have gotten 4+ months of sobiriety and it is WAY more than I have ever achieved before. What I find helps me is being aware of my feelings -- physical and emotional When I want to drink I identify why I am feeling that way and then do what is needed to relieve those feelings. I also talk myself out of drinking. Sometimes, what helps is anything that encourages deep relaxation. That could be focusing on breathing, taking a very hot bath (while drinking a lot of cold water), or doing some intent visual focus (like on the flickering flames in my fireplace or a relaxation video on Youtube).