Thread: iPod Therapy?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
miyako

iPod Therapy?

Just curious .. has anyone else here used their iPod (or similar device) to battle the temptation to drink?

I don't think it would help very much if you are experiencing the headache and/or irritability that goes with the early withdrawal stages, but when I do not have that -- but just the psychological urge to drink due to stress or whatever -- then plugging my headphones on really helps.

I listen to anything that I think will counter the need to drink. It could be soothing music, or motivational music, brainwave entrainment or just an interesting audiobook. I find it's quite a different experience from turning on your stereo. The earplugs force your brain to focus. It's difficult to think about anything else. As for music, it has the effect of redirecting emotions too -- to something more positive or calming. A nice side benefit is that you can do other things while listening -- clean house/do chores, for example.

I don't think visual stimulus like the TV or internet is that great. If you're watching, your brain is still free to wander. Vision is something that is never 100% focused. And most people who drink seem to have the habit linked to TV/internet.

I wanted to throw this out there since it's something that most of us can do and it's definitely helped me through some rough patches.