View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nattythreads
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I absolutely see where you're going djp and realize that it's an incredibly difficult journey for you. I only really have a couple of points, neither of which you need to pay any heed at all with!

I've never expected or sought my sponsor to help me through more complicated mental issues. These are just people who happen to be addicts. As a counselor yourself, you will know this to be true. A leader in a meeting this week shared on exactly that issue of not being anything more than just another addict, clean for 20+ years and her refusal to even begin to try and fill a void of mother figure to her sponsees, something she makes abundantly clear to them. All she gives is her experience and her friendship. That's how it should be.

Which brings me on to your last sponsor and step attempt. What she was trying to do was get you to emulate one of the key maxims - keep it simple. It's not their role to define the problems from a kind of stream of consciousness approach. It's for you to do the work - edit, work get to the real nub and communicate that. You have to take ownership and part of doing the work I think is being able to verbalize that without the need to beat around the bush as it were vomit and everything on to the page! Write it all out, then redo and redo until it really crystallizes your thoughts.

Just the meanderings of one long-term addict here. Best of luck to you.