View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GroundhogDay

All of us want to quit later, but as you wisely point out, better to do it before you lose the great job, girlfriend, etc.

But watching other people 10 years further down the drinking road has been enough to convince me to stop now. My bloodwork shows no problems with liver, etc, but the way I feel says otherwise. Reading people's stories on this forum was the final straw in convincing me to stop trying to control my drinking and choose abstinence instead. You will find many caring people and useful resources here.

As for your attitude about Internet forums, I have a different view. I find it exciting that I can connect to people all over the world via online forums and role playing video games. And remember, there are real people behind the avatars, so all rules of social interaction apply in my opinion. In many ways, we are better able to be our true selves online with "strangers." I think that my everyday acquaintances are strangers more than my online acquaintances since I have to be guarded in real life. But family and friends come first, of course.