View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Genie

BBQ tomorrow at friends

I live in a rural community and tomorrow is a BBQ at neighbours. There is always lots of booze flowing.

My husband knows that I am not drinking (as per doctor's orders). I am confident I won't drink either.

I know the hostess will be wondering why I am not drinking. My reasons - I am having bloodwork done on Monday, plus my doctor is very worried about my BP (and so am I). I don't want to screw up and I have made a pact with myself that I will not drink for at least 30 days. I know that my AV is quite happy about that.

Anyway - it will only be 1 week sober for me. Any suggestions on coping tools?

Oh - last night I was watching various youtube videos about getting sober. One was a man who told himself that he would quit for 1 year and if after that 1 year he still wanted to drink, then he would. His reasoning was that as addicts we are all under an alcoholic cloud and it takes months for that to dissipate and to finally know what it is like to live sober. I thought that was an interesting perspective. He ended up knowing that he would be sober forever by the 8th month mark.

Genie