View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by butterfly2013 View Post
Hey, it's my bday too, we are birthday twins! Happy birthday! Stay strong, Lizatola! We are all here supporting each other

I also feel odd about my birthday, especially since May 10 is also Dia De Las Madres (Mexican Mother's Day is always on May 10th). This morning, my son's dad visited with my son and he did not say anything about my birthday or mother's day. Of course, we are no longer together, so I didn't really expect him to, but I guess it made me think about the last two Mother's Days. My first mother's day, I remember he just pulled the "I don't believe in holidays, you know holidays don't matter to me" excuse (he grew up as a Jehovah's Witness). But it mattered to ME, you know? Everything was always about him. Then my second mother's day, we were already broken up but I remember we went out to dinner with our son and he paid for our meal. It was semi-normal. Now this year, not even an acknowledgement.

I am very thankful I have my son with me today and I'm going to cook us a small dinner and cake, and celebrate in our own way. I know that's all that matters, just the two of us. I'm still struggling with loneliness and still coming to terms with the loss of the "family" I almost delusionally believed in. I try not to think about how my ex goes home to his new wife, when he never lived with me and our son---plus, he always said he "NEVER wanted to get married, ever." I don't know. I guess I am still struggling to completely focus on my own healing and my life as a single mom to my son.
Hugs to you today! And, a big huge HAPPY BIRTHDAY, as well!! I like simple quiet birthdays too.

You know what's funny? I got together with a few friends of mine yesterday and we talked about Mother's Day and about how what we really want is a day ALONE. No kids yelling, "mom, where's me____(fill in the blank)", no dishes calling our name to get done, no husbands watching stupid shows on TV(we'll have it on HGTV all day long, thank you very much), etc. Anyway, we all shared how our kids and husbands were just shocked that what we really wanted was to be left alone on a couch with a good book, LOL!