Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DMB54

I know this is just supposed to be the introduction thread but I'm continuing here for now since I already laid out a bunch of issues. If it fits better in a different section, could a moderator please move the whole thread for me?

I'm trying as hard as I can to face the things that made me drink too much and do drugs. At some point I might move on to a different website for myself only because physical addiction to alcohol is not my main problem. I've had a lot of realizations but it takes time to sort them out and find people I can rely on to help me. I've addressed any problems with my physical health over the last few weeks and am making a lot of changes. I'm still a little hesitant to see a clinical psychologist but I'm getting to that point.

Part of my own recovery was making peace with two people very close to me who are alcoholics. The first one is my roommate who I mentioned here, and I've said all I can say to him. I think he's still drinking too much but he has respected my wishes to not come back to my place drunk. I tried to get across that his addiction is the problem, not him. Anyway, he's moving out in two months and that's the best thing for me.

I won't get into as much detail about my other friend, who is also like a brother to me, but basically I found myself caught in the middle of people and I was forced to step up and be brutally honest again. We play music together and he was being rude and insulting to other people when he drank. Up until now, I continued to buy him beer even though I saw the problem when I was sober. The situation reached a boiling point where we had to replace him in the band and I took on the responsibility of saying something to him. The only difference was that I learned a lot from the discussion with my roomate so I really got to the point and didn't get angry or judgemental. I also made it clear to our bandmates that I didn't appreciate getting put in the middle with no one backing me up. Hopefully they understand that I'm putting myself first now or I have to move on.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because I feel that my only choices are to confront these situations or run away from them. As I'm learning to meet new people, I'm being very careful to avoid those who will put me in the same situation in the future.