Thread: update
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi, wtbh,

Wow, lots going on--I just got back from a week out of the country and am only now catching up. Sorry you were hit again, but glad you were not seriously hurt and that you got the RO!!

Just take it a step at a time. You are handling things well. A history of abuse MAY provide the court with sufficient grounds for you to move out of state. Keep documenting, and do NOT forget, when you go for the hearing for the final, to testify about each and every prior incident that has occurred--including the ones where he had you arrested or threatened to. This last incident is only the very tip of the iceberg and the prior incidents put the whole thing into context. Generally, past history, reported or not, is highly relevant to your need for protection (and the danger to the children). Also, the fact that he hit you in the presence of the children is highly relevant and should be stressed. Be sure to describe how upset they were. I would contact the prosecutor's office about the possibility of adding a charge of endangering their welfare since he hit you in front of them. VERY damaging to children's emotional welfare, not to mention the possibility of their being physically injured if they got caught in the middle.

With the order in place, stick to the letter of it meticulously. Do not allow him to "bend" it for the sake of placating him. ANY violation, report, report, report.

Many hugs--I can hear the relief you are feeling. Stay strong. And as far as the neighbors are concerned, everyone else is right on. The husband is feeling threatened, and the wife has no choice but to back him up. Don't expect any different. If you ever get a private moment with the wife, you can let her know that you are someone she can trust if she ever needs help (if you feel comfortable doing that). What other people do or say does not matter. Your safety and the kids' safety and security is what you need to keep in focus. No doubt this will be a rough time for the kids. But like all of us, sometimes they need to go through some temporary hardships to get to a better place in the long run. Keep the big picture in mind. Hurt feelings now do not trump a safe future.