View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
deeker

Originally Posted by mrsc07 View Post
After my husband telling me for years that I have a problem with alcohol its time to admit it and get myself sorted. I'm a 34 year old mum of a gorgeous nearly 5 year old boy. I think I'm what you call a functioning alcoholic.

I think it's awesome that you are recognizing it and you are admitting it. I remember my little boy when he was 5 years old. Best memories I have, no damage yet. But I continued drinking and maybe I thought I was functional to the world , but inside I was not functioning very well at all. I lived in fear, guilt and remorse everyday of my life. Constantly trying to absolve my guilt by doing stuff for him for the hubby .

I was emotionally unavailable for my son.
He became less of a priority and drinking became my priority.

I can't get those years back. It is probably the only thing in my life that I truly breakdown over. I am a very happy person today sober but when I read posts about Mom's being alcoholic and having children. I am brought to tears, cuz I refused to admit I needed help. I was sick. I was stuck.

It's not to late for you though. You can do this. You can change this around and really create some wonderful memories with your child. I hope you decide you are done. God Bless you!