View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sobreia

Raja, I am very sorry to hear you are struggling. Please remember that there are many of us here, myself included, who will listen and offer support. Please don't beat yourself up for drinking, it will only make things worse. Try to be kind to yourself, in thought and action.

I was fortunate enough to be able to change my circumstances and remove myself from a destructive context in which I had very little support. However, I do understand that for many people this is simply not possible for a variety of reasons.

It really is a viscous circle, and in the end it is hard to tell what is cause and what is effect. We drink because of the bad circumstances, which makes the circumstances worse, which makes us drink more and makes us unable to deal with or get out of the bad circumstances...

What I have found helpful is to try to stop compartmentalising issues - "if only I get my relationship, my career, my living circumstances, my relationship to my family etc. under control then I will be able to..." and instead try to see how all of these things are interlinked and related to one fundamental issue - the negative patterns of thinking I have developed (for a variety of reasons) regarding myself and the destructive actions that follow from this.

The problem is not "out there", it is inside, and no matter how fast I run (or drink) or where I go, it will follow me, unless I try to deal with it once and for all. To be able to do so I need to create a space where I feel safe and where I have support. No one should have to do this on their own - I don't think it is possible to do so.

While you may not be able to change your circumstances all together, you can change how you deal with them and what kind of support you are receiving. Perhaps a good start is to talk about the problems you are going through with someone you trust, or people here on SR, to get some practical advice on how to commit to recovery in those particular circumstances. Talking about your situation might take some pressure off you, and make it easier to stay away from alcohol.

I hope this makes sense. It is getting late here... Sending you warm thoughts.