View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
anotherquitter

I go to one regular AA meeting a week. I've missed only a handful in my first year of sobriety. At the beginning I was struggling against the program (god thing) and I still haven't worked the steps. I was really having a hard time at about the three month mark, and fortunately I had some time off work so I could attend almost daily meetings for a couple of weeks. It was my limited schedule equivalent of 90 in 90 and really helped me through a rough patch. The good thing about AA is you can take what you need and leave the rest. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. No one forces you to do anything - it's not a cult, or a religion, despite the ever present rituals.

The real benefit I find from meetings is being around other people that have the same thoughts and feelings toward alcohol. Just shutting up and listening helped me identify the alcoholic traits in my life. It also helps me to understand that the drink I had over a year ago, truly must be my last drink. Spending time with other drunks in meetings helps me to continue to be honest with myself.

Whatever path you chose I wish you well in your sobriety.