View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jayden

How to deal with this situation?

Hi,
My mum's 36, she doesn't work, has a fiance and they have a two year old baby together.
Her fiance works night shift, and whilst he's at work she gets wasted.

She gets to the point where she struggles to talk, and has trouble walking.
She has been to the doctor, she knows she has a problem, but she's still drinking, and I don't see it stopping in the near future.
The doctor has diagnosed her with depression, and has prescribed valium and some anti depressants. (Which take two weeks to have any effect). To my knowledge, the valium was to help her with withdrawal symptoms, but she hasn't quit, so now she's mixing the two.

I would like to have my own life, but as every child loves their mother, it's hard for me to leave her alone. (I also care for my brother once she's past the point of being capable).

It is quite sad because when she's sober, she's a completely different person and capable of doing anything.

Basically, my dilemma is, my mum won't stop drinking, nobody can make her but herself, and she doesn't want to quit.

She's been caught drink driving three times, and if she gets caught again, it's more than likely she'll face jail time. (She drink drives every night).

I'm wondering would it be logical to call the police on her, so she can face her consequences, become sober, learn the world is not against her, and most importantly end the threat to herself and/or others while driving under the influence.

That is honestly my last resort, as it feels like I've tried every approach.

Sorry it's so long, just trying to get all the info in one post.

Thanks.