Thread: A quick hello
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FizzyWater
Sober since 9th May 2008

A quick hello

Unbelievably it is 5 years ago today I stopped drinking, doesnt seem that long, but then in other ways it does, not in terms of it has been hard just it feels like the old me was a different lifetime ago.

I live such an active, busy and enjoyable life now compared to the ill wreck I was 5 years ago. My evenings are no longer spent hiding away. isolating myself drinking vodka, I m out on my bike, coaching my sons football team, climbing hills, I have all this energy I didnt realise I had inside me.

The help I recieved on here back five years ago was invaluable, thank you, don t know theres many from that time left on here.

For people just starting out, just trust that it really is possible, I didnt think I could do it but now alcohol very rarely even touches my thoughts. The longer you stay sober the easier it gets as well.

The one thing I would say, if like me you have been drinking heavily over a number of years then you cant expect things to get better overnight. I reckon it took me 12 odd years to train my body to cope with the amount of vodka I was drinking. Your body can heal quickly, my physical symptons went away within a couple of weeks, it takes a lot longer to get your mind healed though.

Stick with it and its is so doable.