View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fallow
Re-Tread

I do meditate. I just use a few basic ideas I learned from googling though. I have a friend who went to school for a related subject and he is really into meditation so he told me some stuff. Also a guy I know in AA taught me some.

I used to visualize a certain place I had never been to start. And meditate with my eyes closed. Focusing on breathing. That visualization usually gave way to nothingness in a sense and I would forget the breaths. I remember at first 5 minutes seemed like an hour! I used to go meditate on my 15 minute break and keep thinking I was over 15 minutes . I did meditate that way for months until recently.

Now after some talk with friends I meditate with my eyes open. Same sitting position. No visualization. I simply focus on be-ing in that exact moment. It is difficult at times but great. Everything is happening at that exact time no past or future. When it feels 'right' and my brain quiets down at least. I can sit that way for quite some time when its right. 'Conciousness' has a way of sneaking back in at times but I have grown to love the feeling of just letting everything go. I love this method and testing it at meetings with others in the room just seeing how deep onto that meditative state I can get in 3 or 5 minutes.

I practice every day. Usually 15 minutes or a half hour. I find it very helpful for my state of mind in general on top of recovery.

I would love to learn a lot more on this and read some books too!