View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BabyJane

Ah this is just what I needed to read today! I struggle with it too. At least these days, in sobriety, I feel icky if I don't get things done. I used to procrastinate and just not care because my only real priority was getting loaded every day. I could put ANYTHING else on the back-burner for ages and just numb my guilt over not getting it done and letting people down. These days I've learned a few things so I will share what helps me :

1.) I make more realistic goals - if a project seems too overwhelming, I break it down into much smaller pieces and just focus on getting something done instead of finishing the whole thing.
2.) I set time limits so I don't wear myself out and I let myself take a break if its just not happening so I can return to it (but I do make sure the break isn't all day!)
3.) I ask for help if I need help. This is tough but sometimes we can't do it alone!
4.) I make a list. Crossing items off my to-do list feels good.
5.) I tell myself I can't do the "fun" stuff until I get some work done and I stick to it. I will get the icky things out of the way much faster if I get that reward at the end, even if its just something small.
6.) I have one day every week where I focus on having fun, relaxing, and family so I can have a day to renew myself and rest. It gives me more energy for the rest of the week and I actually get more done!