View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
IWillWin

It is a marathon not a sprint to true sobriety. Most of us have stumbled along the way and the posts you see are us putting our big person pants back on and starting to run again.

It's truly those who don't seek support after relapse who I worry about the most. Some relapse, some slip, some have cake with rum in it and freak out. All situations are ok, and manageable as long as the person doesn't give up.

Don't let your addiction trick you though, it is not fun or ok to relapse and I personally think it is almost worse than being drunk all the time. With sobriety comes clarity and drinking after abstinence brings a whole new level of guilt that I never felt when I was drunk all the time. Thankfully, I haven't had to feel that way for over 8 months and I'm so grateful.

I guess my point is yes, falling down while running is common. It's the getting back up part that is uncommon. Far more fall and don't get up than do. Use the stories of relapse as inspiration and strength - and remember, it does NOT have to be a part of YOUR story. I sure wish it wasn't part of mine. But it was. And I got up