View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
gnly

I am almost 100% completely against AA. The only reason that I am not 100% against it is because I recognize that some people need someone else to tell them how to live their lives. However, I had a TERRIBLE experience (10 months in it). The way I look at it, is that AAs are not experts in mental health, they get together and try to live a good life, but they aren't aware of helathy and unhealthy behavior. The group I ended up with was like Mideival England (bow down to me, make amends, kiss my behind). They claimed their lives didn't have any drama but they created ridiculous drama all the time..I had several last straws, I am still working through my contempt for AA. That being said, I would recommend going for the professionals for help. Therapists, outpatient treatment, SMART recovery. Changing your lifestyle and your mindset is possible without AA. The 2 things I learned was that: 1) I prefer being sober. 2) Spirituality helps me. Now I go to a Buddhist group and try to fill my life with sober activities, I'm also in school and that takes up a lot of time. I have a friend who was a drug addict she got through the beginning by turning to art. She lives a great life, I still have work to do but I am happier being sober. I did try to drink again and it is very hard for me to moderate it. I was a pretty crazy drunk, I now feel like I don't need alcohol again in my life and there is so much out there to experience alcohol-free.