View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CharlieNoogan

An unexpected test

Yesterday, I was helping my father with some yard work. His neighbor a few doors down was coincidentally having some trees removed from his backyard to make room for a new swimming pool.

The neighbor stopped over and offered my father some of the cut wood for his fireplace. This immediately conjured up images from my childhood where I grudgingly had to spend entire days helping him saw logs, split them into firewood, and carry them to various piles. It was torture at the time. We always had a wood burning fireplace growing up, which I particularly enjoyed because of the labor that went into making it possible.

Anyway, after filling a trailer load of wood and dropping it off at his house we went back to get more. As we walked around the back of the neighbor's house, there he was, waiting with three ice cold beers. He offered them immediately to us but as I was pushing a wheelbarrow and my father a dolly, the neighbor set the beers on the ground and went about his business.

A year ago I would have guzzled the beer in 2 minutes as it was hot out and the day's labor was tough. I didn't though. I said my Serenity Prayer, finished loading a few more loads of wood, and left feeling like I had gotten an "A+" in recovery for the day.

Has anyone else been tested lately?