Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
WhyIsThisMyLife
Happiness & Gratefullness NOW

Scott, I will read AA's, Big Book. As to whether my confidentiality is more important to my life, that would assume that my disclosing the truth will save me. Im not sure it will help at all. After my doctors send my diagnosis to my HR and I lose my job and health insurance, if I know me, I would probably do like the guy in Leaving Las Vegas and go away on a drinking splurge that will end my life. I drink because I have no coping skills and a stupid inability to handle life on life's terms. Loss of my means of support would be huge for me. I cannot intentionally do it.

When I first came here, I posted that I needed to try to do this on my own and getting health care workers involved is off the table. I've been to lot of sites and it is like I have to defend that position. I'm not at a pont where I will go through DT's or have anything, but uncomfortable symptoms. Also, withdrawal from narcotics are not dangerous. I want help from others who have gone through this or are going through this. I want to not feel so alone.

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
There are many online resources such as SR and Online AA meetings. Have you tried reading the Big Book at all?

Regarding your aversion to letting anyone know, all I can say from personal experience is that its, very, very hard to kick these habits on your own. You say that you realize this is potentiallly a life or death situation - which it very well could be down the road. Is your confidentiality more important to you than your life?