Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ptcapote

Hi Brian, thanks for writing that down as I also struggled (and continue to) with those thoughts fairly regularly. I also had resigned myself to the fact that I would never again have fun without a drink and become some shut-in, antisocial, person who would not only never have fun again...but never have a romantic relationship again either. But what others above are saying is correct, especially Jeni's very insightful comments. I am only three months in but I have found that I am beginning to get a good handle on my real personality sans booze and, really, it's not so bad. I was never a party animal either but enjoyed the wonderful lubrication booze provided to get me to be just a little more wild, a little more funny, a little more...well, more, I suppose. But I am discovering that there are actually parts of myself that I like much more sober. Like the ability to really laugh and also, as said above, discover things about me that are more true than the things I thought about myself when I was drinking (such as liking being with fewer people rather than more, getting to really know someone without the alcohol filter, etc.)

As far as romantic relationships, I am also terrified because for at least the past five or seven years, I have not really had a relationship with someone that did not involve alcohol. But, looking back, most of the decisions I made to both get into and stay involved in those relationships were not always good ones. I never got the chance to know those people and never gave them a chance to know me without booze. I thought differently at the time, of course, but the more I reflect on it, the more I realize that I would like to have a chance at a relationship without the filter of alcohol. Sure, it's going to be harder to meet people because I am not nearly as outgoing when I am not drinking but I also know now that if and when I do get into another relationship, sober, that the person is going to be seeing the real me. Not the boozed up me. Somehow that authenticity has an appeal even if it is terrifying at times.

Hang in there and trust that you will be able to have fun and meet people sober. I never believed it in the beginning and even now there are times when I am terrified without my liquid armor. But the moments I have had getting to know someone and being myself without the booze? Pretty damn priceless. Like Jeni said, I am finding I like the sober me much better than I liked the drunk me.

Give yourself a chance, it is not nearly as scary as your mind makes it out to be.