View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
pauladmits

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
dont feel embarrassed. one thing i was told when i got into recovery is that i stopped growing mentally and emotionally when i picked up my 1st drink. so even though i was 36 when i got into recovery, i was only 13ish mentally and emotionally. boy, did i find that to be true pretty quick!!! then all i had to do is make a decision to take accountability for my past and responsibility for my future and put in the footwork lerning how to live and do it without alcohol. learning how to live life on lifes terms wasnt gonna work with my own thinkin. thats what got me to where i was. i needed the help form others that had been in my shoes.
Oh my gosh, this makes a lot of sense!! I started drinking heavily as a freshman in college and I've acted like it ever since. I'm so immature, I still play beer pong, still wear my fraternity clothing, watch Van Wilder over and over because I want to go back there. I think you are right, I think the alcohol has kept my mind from growing. Wow, that makes a lot of sense.