Thread: Bad night
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Alco79 View Post
Court ordered programs for alcohol addiction and all the many problems I've had while drinking I've never voluntarily gone to any of these programs including inpatient court orderd until now
Thanks Alco, I had that sort of stuff too, even a court order banning me from drinking at the age of 16. Got drunk to celebrate that one.
I fought the alcoholic label right to the end. i would rather have been a certified lunatic. But in the end it did not matter so much what I did when drinking (we all have dfferent stories on that front) it was the fact that I had lost the power of choice in drink.

When I drank I couldn't guarantee when I would stop, and when I tried to stay off the booze (I'm so ashamed I'll never drink again!) I would find myself drinking within a few hours, often without any conscious thought. Alternatively I would drink under the delusion that this time will be different - sometimes it was, but not often. It just got worse.

Once I stopped drinking for nearly three months and found I could not function. Life without booze was worse than life with it. Booze was my solution. If alcohol was the problem, then I should have got better.

So it's about control and choice.