View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
pauladmits

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Sometimes it is not easy to grow up and take responsibility Paul...but it sounds like you might be ready to change your self-centered ways and step up to the plate.

it's wonderful to earn a good salary and have $$ (much easier than being poor)...but having something to show for it besides a load of gambling debt is even better. There will come a time when there is role reversal with you and both your parents....(Mr. Fandy who is in my past had a terrible gambling issues, he loved the ponies much more than me and still does, but he is a 59 year old child)

I hope your parents will allow you to make your own mistakes and fix them yourself instead of rushing in to protect you. The experience is invaluable. I think that counseling is a great start and sobriety will support your real growth.
OMG!! I am a child! Literally I'm a 28 year old child. I don't do anything for myself. If my mom doesn't make my dental appointment for me, I never will. OMG!! This is so embarrassing. I mean I have rationalized this to the point that I found it acceptable. I always said that I was extremely busy with work and that they were just helping me out. I mean, I make NO decisions. If people want to eat out I literally eat whatever they want to eat, go wherever they want to go... drink whatever they are drinking. I simply am a chameleon that just sticks to people like glue and wants to be told what to do and when to do it!

Maybe, just maybe this is the key to my happiness?? Maybe moving out of my parents house, getting my own bank accounts, mowing my own lawn, doing things for myself, making my own decisions... will lead me to wanting a better life?? I need to separate from my father somehow and live my own life, face real world consequences and take responsibility for my own actions. Hmmm... this feels good.