Thread: self care
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
1Dayatatyme

Thanks to all who posted here

Hello,
I want to thank all of you... your posts are immensely helpful to me.

To 65: I also live in the Denver metro area, and my first time through recovery, in 1999, 12 step meetings saved my life... I went to AA, NA, and CA, due to issues with alcohol, and my DOC back then was cocaine. There was some things shared in meetings that would aggravate me, at first, and I learned to "take what I want, and leave the rest."

After over ten years clean and sober, I got so busy with my career, and then was in a car accident, so due to prescribed medication, I became addicted to opioids. Now I have 7 weeks clean today. This time around, although the cold turkey withdrawal was brutal, physically speaking, I am getting my emotional needs met here on SR. However, I do know the rooms are available if I need additional support. I do participate in phone meetings occasionally and they help as well.

As for therapy and counseling, I think it is great if you know what you want, and let the therapist know that you are seeking someone knowledgeable in
CBT or whatever you believe will help. More importantly, and this is my own opinion, I would seek a therapist who is truly supportive and empathic, so that I have a safe place to process my thoughts and feelings as I journey through this recovery process. Also, a certified or licensed addiction counselor is helpful as they understand the nature of addiction. But, if they are not empathic, I find that I do not trust, and then do share openly enough to get any benefit out of the therapy.

Right now, I have found a lot of reasons for my relapse on pain pills, and am working on those issues through self reflection, journaling, sharing with supportive family and friends, and eliminating major areas of stress in my life.

Thanks for letting me share.