View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ptcapote

Here for you, Icandothis! We seem to be in the same boat, so let's paddle together.

I could not moderate, I eventually had to just stop completely. And I found that trying to be "dry" a few days a week usually spiraled into a total disaster when I traveled for work because that sense of getting "a pass" to drink one or two because I was on the road only made me consume so much more. I also work in dangerous places and the need to be on alert helped a bit but, in the end, my inner drunk stopped caring about the danger and just wanted the drink. It's amazing how determined that little turd can be Luckily, I never go hurt but the combo of trying to moderate, then bingeing on the road even when I didn't intend to, and being in less than safe places was a disaster or a tragedy waiting to happen. Sounds like you're not at that point. But stop while you're ahead.

I am no expert- this is only my first trip abroad sober--but even though I miss drinking, I am so much more clear-headed this time around and that has been pretty cool. I am seeing a place I have seen at least a dozen times in the past two years with a whole new set of eyes. I believe it is making me more effective at my job, instead of just enduring it at times.

Anyway--I got your back whenever you need it! Stay strong---we can do it.