View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
endlesspatience

Still going strong but I want to tell you all a story, if I may.

I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning and headed out to meet a friend for coffee. I was a bit early so I went in search of breakfast first. A guy approached me in the street with a bottle of whisky in one hand and a can of beer in the other. He followed me into a shop and started waving loads of big denomination bank notes around. "Let me get you a drink? What do you want?" he kept shouting.

Seriously, the guy was dropping the notes on the floor and the shop keeper probably would have sold him another bottle of whisky just to get rid of him. I said "I don't want your money and I don't want a drink." And I really meant it. This was about 10am in the morning!

If I'd been drinking on Friday night and hungover this morning who knows what I would have done. Drank with him? Robbed him? I dread to think.

As it was I stayed sober and clean, met my friend and had a really productive Saturday. I went to an AA meeting as planned this afternoon and shared about this incident. Please pray for the guy I met this morning. Pray that he too finds a way out of the insanity and misery the drink is causing.

You know that bit at the beginning of the meeting where we have a moment's silence to remember the alcoholic who will die tonight? He was in serious danger for his life. And so would I have been if I'd not reached out for support. Thank you, SR friends. Thank you AA. Thank you Higher Power.