Thread: This is hard.
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by 1stthingsfirst View Post
I am on day 8 and have not touched any alcohol.All in all, it has been pretty easy for me to abstain and stand up to the Addictive Voice - at least in that aspect. It is easy NOT to do something; but getting the hang of other aspects of day-to-day living is challenging.

The last two days have been especially stressful. Nothing major, just lots of annoyances, some in my control, others out of my control. On a day like this, I would have most certainly had more wine or beer than was healthy for me. I am resolute in being sober for the rest of my life and although I don't really feel like getting drunk now, I am just constantly frustrated with everything and having a hard time settling down.

It feels like swimming in deep water, with nowhere to stop. I just have to keep going...

I realize that for me, alcohol addiction/reliance was destructive because instead of developing coping and stress management skills, I used alcohol to subdue uncomfortable feelings. I stunted my emotional growth and emotional intelligence as a result. I have to figure it out now, at the same time I am trying to amend relationships, finances and my health. It is very hard to do this.

Please tell me that this gets easier as I go along... I have been doing my very best to get healthy over the last week; I just feel like I have hit a brick wall.

Frustrated.
I highlighted what looks to me like really great AVRT work.

To my way of thinking, your "...trying to amend relationships, finances, and my health..." is acknowledging you're back to being yourself. (I recently saw "What about Bob" again and this reminds me of Richard Dreyfus in the very last scene when his sister gets married and his son exclaims "Dad's back!!")

The AV enjoys the concept that we are each INDIVIDUAL human beings, and AVRT doesn't really alter that basic concept. AVRT simply introduces a dissociative technique that allows us to THINK DIVIDUALLY about our THINKING. Keeping the DIVIDING restricted to IT's very narrow goal of getting you to drink is what it's all about. All the rest IS YOU.