Thread: Still Drunk
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobreia

Originally Posted by lastchance24 View Post

I think that's the reason a lot of people don't seek help. Diabetes is a disease, cancer is a disease, and what we have is a disease. Until society realizes and recognizes this as a disease it will always be taboo. You just have to have the strength and courage to admit that you're powerless over your disease.
This so so true and thinking about alcoholism this way has been very helpful to me. Alcoholism becomes a stigma as people look down on us because we cannot control our drinking, as if we are making the choice to be out of control. I've struggled for so long thinking that I need to learn how to control my drinking, feeling ashamed because I have no control, feeling that it is my own fault, my lack of self discipline, morale etc. Admitting to myself that I have a disease has been a relief. Recovery from it will be a life long commitment, it will be hard, but I don't want the alternative: the shame, anxiety, dysfunctional relationships, depression... and, most likely, premature death.