Thread: Still Drunk
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobreia

Originally Posted by vatutin11 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I just hope I can repay the favour when it's needed. I know I'm not unique but I find it hard to see myself as having a problem when society sees this kind of binge drinking as normal and even encourages it.

But don't get me wrong, I know I do have a problem and need to stop. I cave under pressure though. Full on people pleaser.
"Full on people pleaser" that is me in a nutshell! And that is a big part of the problem, in many parts of my life. I please others, at the expense of my own health and wellbeing. Also, it is a short term type of pleasing, because in the long run I do fail a lot of people, I am not being honest, I betray and alcohol makes me do and say things I would otherwise never do.

I find I cave under pressure because I don't admit to myself the full extent of my problem, I become so easily persuaded. People do have a tendency to encourage others to drink even if they realise you have a problem, sometimes because they take comfort in knowing that you are the out of control person who will make everyone else look "normal" or good. I sound cynical, but I do think that, subconsciously, this might be the case.

Also, others might not realise the extent of your problem as you hide it from them because you don't want to confront it yourself. Many people feel uncomfortable talking about drinking problems because it means they will have to think about their own drinking habits, which in our society are often quite unhealthy. I grew up in Sweden and have lived in London for several years, in both places binge drinking is almost the norm...