Thread: Scared
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
0percentABV

Being scared of "never again" is part of the journey. Alcohol really becomes a part of you, even to the casual drinker. It seems like a normal part of life and not being able to be a part of it anymore, especially to us who made it our everything, seems like such a daunting task and doomed to fail. But as time goes on sober, and you battle through the hard times and experience the openness of your new life and grow to be more comfortable with it all and eventually it will be your new life. You'll be proud of it. You'll own it. Alcohol currently owns you. It wont' make you happy ever again. Once you come to accept that then you can get on with your life.

On a side note, one of my issues that kept me from accepting my reality was the past. And not that I was trying to cloud the past with drinking but I was trying to get back to the days when drinking was fun. The future outlook of not drinking anymore was scary because it was such an intrical part of my life and for the most part I kept it under control (or so I thought) for the better part of 20 years. But the past few years it was sliding downhill big time. "I can't be an alcoholic, I went this long, what about my Friday night grilling? Happy hour? Old school friends?" But I slowly learned that no matter how hard I tried to get back to normal it wasn't happening. I wanted my past drinking to be my current drinking and my future drinking. I didn't want this to be a problem. I tried and I tried and it didn't work. Then I hit my rock bottom one night and the writing was on the wall. Normal drinking will NEVER be a part of my life again. I accepted it. Sweated out the first month and now, almost three months later I don't want to go back ever again. This is your life. Not alcohol's.