Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobreia

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Sobreia,

Sounds like we could be twins separated at birth! You wove together some sober days, and you will do it again. Getting right back to it is a great sign that you are ready and able to do this!

Working my recovery for substance abuse has really helped me with all those other issues. I apply the same sort of thinking, behaviors, and choices in those other areas of my life and things have improved beyond my wildest dreams.

I found it most useful for me to not say "Ok, that's it, as of today I am never doing any of those things again!" but instead to open myself to the process of recovery, make a commitment to recovery, which is very different from making a commitment to NOT do something.

I made a commitment to grow and heal. Putting my energy towards healing rather than towards fighting urges has made all the difference.

So glad you joined our family here!
Threshold, thank you so much for your post. I am sorry for taking time to respond, have been feeling quite low, anxious and without energy since drinking on Saturday. Three days sober, one day at the time.

I have been trying to identify my "weaknesses" from last time, what made me cave in for the craving, so I can work on these to help me stay sober. I realised that some of them, like not being able to talk about my problems with family and friends, a tendency to want to please others rather than doing what feels right for me, are aspects that also affect my mental health negatively. By dealing with these issues, to stay sober, I hope I will also be able to feel more stable mentally, and less alone with my problems.

It is really encouraging to read what you write about recovery, how it has helped you with other issues and how making a commitment to recovery and healing has been the key, rather than making a commitment to not do something. I have been trying to think in similar terms, how I am making a commitment to be kind to myself, to treat myself well both physically and mentally.

I am so glad to have found this place, and all the wonderful people on here. I am here if you want to talk more about this, or other things. A big hug, S