View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Terrispots
Co-dependant Control Freak

Rehearsing Conversations

Alright, here is a confession....

I rehearse conversations in my head.

Coming home every day was a challenge, never knowing what mood my SM was going to be in, whether she was going to hate me, love me, ignore me, abuse me, if I had done something wrong, if I was in trouble, whatever. So to prepare for walking in the door I would go over every scenario that could happen, the conversation (if I say hello and she ignores me, then I will do this, if she yells at me for this then I will say blah blah blah, I can try to start it off good by telling her I did this at school today....) etc... and prepare myself for them.

Now, I do the same thing for just regular encounters. If I am at home and DH says, hey, can I talk to you, I panic, cause I havent rehearsed the million things that could be discussed. If I am at work and my boss says, Terri can you come to my office I panic, cause I assume I am getting fired and I dont have a prepared response.

Please tell me I am not the only one. I am over 40 and have never told anyone this. I would LOVE to relax and never do this again! I can be involved in full conversation rehearsals and be completely unaware of my surroundings.