Thread: wish me luck
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndStage

Keep up the good work.
Stay strong.
When the feelings start to come upon you, keep focus on why you no longer want to drink. Sometimes that is the hardest thing for alcoholics (not excluding myself) to do; focus on the positive and reflections.
I suggest when you are done at the end of the night, you may be alone and your mind starts to consume you that all you want to do is drink, start to write in a journal or pad. Write down a gratitude list, things that you are thankful for and that are positive about you and whats in your life. Than right down three categories: Mental, Physical, and Conduct. In these categories, write down all of the negative things you have done while drinking. Reason for these lists, when you want to drink, review what you put yourself through and do you really want to go back to that "deep depression and cover-ups of shame, guilt, etc." Than go back to your gratitude list and review all of the positives in which you have within you when you are not drinking. It will help soooo much.
I will say this, I HATE to write, but during my sobriety, I look back in my journal and see from day 1 to 10 the withdraws I was going through, my thoughts and pains... As I continued to read, I kept seeing the daily victories and the successful progression I have made!
I encourage you to take it one day at a time, be positive, and focus on the goal!