View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
DG0409

3 weeks!!

Well, I have been spending my time over in the April 2013 class thread rather than staying over here being antisocial. But I wanted to take some time and ramble on about 3 weeks and update this thread.

I am in some ways simply shocked to have 3 weeks. Everyday I wake up not drinking is still a little bit of a surprise, although I am getting more used to it. Now, I suspect if I woke up hungover, it would be WAY more of a surprise. And I'd be so upset if that happened.

Three weeks of not drinking and focusing on eating a healthy diet (as best as I could manage anyway, I'm no dietician and I've spent the last 2 weeks on the road, but it was really mostly healthy, I think), drinking water, stretching out every day, doing a few pushups, taking walks, trying to get enough sleep.

Some things are just magically better:
  • I feel less depressed.
  • I have more energy.
  • I'm less anxious
  • I sleep better and have dreams again.
  • I wake up feeling well rested.
  • My thoughts are clearer and my memory is much better.
  • I'm more relaxed most of the time.
  • I DO get emotional, but I am able to clearly think about it and handle it better.
  • I had some sort of fungal infection or something on the bottom of my foot that magically disappeared. I don't know if this is due to an improvement in my immune system or sweating less or what, but the skin on my feet isn't disintegrating, so I'll take it.
  • WAY less sweaty than I was as a drinker.
  • More motivated again.

I see more progress ahead. There are more changes I need to make in life if I want to be successful and happy at this long-term.
  • Continuing to eat well, drink water & exercise.
  • Changing thought patterns that don't benefit me.
  • I need to learn to value myself more and take care of myself better.
  • Sometimes, I focus too much on others.
  • I need to develop healthy coping methods for when I have problems.
  • I need to work on my relationship.
  • I need to get more caught up at work.
  • I need to develop more of a social network with people not based on alcohol&drugs.
  • I know there are more things.

The nice thing is that I'm not drunk, so I can think clearly and see what needs done. I can tackle things one at a time.

It's hard to look back at how I was living my life. It's hard to come up out of the fog to dealing with the problems that I left myself. I want to get frustrated sometimes, but that isn't the way.

I just need to take things one day at a time, one problem at a time and slowly work through them.

I'm very proud of my 3 weeks.