View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

You can do this. I had a very similar situation. Moved to SF from NYC for a job. It was very stressful and just got worse and worse. Laid off in November and then went from Very Bad No Good Drinking Habits to What Day Is It? I Can't Recall Because I've Slept Three Times Drinking Habits.

I quit 73 days ago, no health insurance. I did end up in the ER on Day 2 because I vomited blood and it freaked me out (I had been on a bit of a bender, to say the least). They gave me an IV, some vitamins, some ativan to prevent seizures, and sent me home. Thankfully SF has a really good public health program so I only had to pay a small percentage of the total cost. If it had been during the day instead of at night I probably could have gotten the same treatment at an Urgent Care for maybe $100.

It really wasn't so bad compared to what I thought it would be. I was convinced I couldn't do it without rehab but that hospital trip shook my resolve into place. The anxiety etc was bad at first but you just need to remind yourself that it's a physical thing. It's your brain firing like crazy, a fire alarm with no fire.

After about two weeks I started feeling a bit better. Since then it comes and goes, but generally gets easier and easier as time goes on. My sleep is still messed up but I'm a lifelong insomniac since way before I started drinking, so I'm not a great test case.

Feel free to message me if you need anything. You can do this! I can tell you it feels great to be writing job applications without worrying that I'll look like **** at my interview.