View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Louise82
Faith and reason

Hey BladeReaper, I totally hear ya too. I haaaate physical contact. My first time at an AA meeting where they hold hands to say the serenity prayer, I didn't know that was going to happen and I was absolutely mortified because I'm not even very good at holding hands with complete strangers, especially the ones who hold onto your hand a few seconds longer than necessary and squeeze it so hard it almost breaks your fingers, lol.

And yes, people come up to me at AA meetings and hug me without asking. Luckily it's mainly fellow women who do that, although men I've never met before will sometimes come up and touch me on the back or elbow for whole seconds at a time just to say "good share" or whatever. I know they all mean well and aren't preying on me but I'm honestly the kind of person who jumps if you accidentally brush knees with me, so it's all a little weird for me.

But I'm not weird because of that and neither are you. If it's potentially a stumbling block in your recovery, you absolutely should let people know what your boundaries are and that you expect them to respect those boundaries. When someone starts shaping up for a hug, try putting on a big smile and saying something like, "Hey man, I don't do hugs but I'd be honoured to shake you by the hand my friend." in your own words. Then gently take their hand and shake it firmly, whilst looking them warmly in the eye.