Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
toomuchtoolose

Facing Friends and Colleagues as Non Drinker

After posting for the first time on here yesterday I have found it brought new revealations and a lot of emotion to the surface for me. Overall this is probably a good thing I think!

One thing that I seem to be really battling with at the moment is how I tell people I am no longer drinking. I am known to all my friends and work colleagues as a drinker and a bit of a party animal. Many of them won't and don't understand why I have quit, and some have even said they are disappointed I'm not drinking anymore.

The reality is if I sat down with any of them and told them a tenth of the damage I've done to myself and my life through alcohol they would be in no doubt I am doing the right thing.

The thing is its not appropriate to tell everyone who asks all this stuff about myself and what I've done.

But at 4 months sober it's becoming obvious to people that I am now not drinking at all.

I find it really hard to know what to say to people as I'm scared they are going to judge me, plus there are so many scenarios I find making up excuses to fit the person / group / situation really hard....I am by nature an honest person and it ties me in knots with what to say.

I know my decision is right....but does anyone have any advice about how to 'come out' to people as a non drinker but not have to share your inner demons with them all..........?

Would really appreciate any advice you have :-)