View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by 1stthingsfirst View Post
I am looking into reasons for my addiction.
I like to know things like this, also. The human brain can be fascinating. One thing I have discovered, though, is that (in my case) what addiction means is much more important than why I am addicted.

Being addicted to alcohol means that part of my own brain will attempt to deceive me into believing I need alcohol, and that I don't really have a problem with alcohol. Part of my own brain is happiest when I am behaving in a manner completely contrary to my prosperity and survival. That part of my brain will go to great lengths to convince me to act in a manner I know to be destructive.

That's really powerful stuff. ([So powerful, I will use the redundant expression 'my own' twice to explain it. ]

That part of the brain is actually several parts of the brain. They all have fancy Latin names, but we AVRT practitioners use the short-hand expression 'Beast' to encapsulate them. The beast can ABSOLUTELY be kept in check by the part of our brain that has reason, logic and inhibitions. That part of the brain can exercise EXECUTIVE CONTROL over the beast anytime we decide to do so.

You can do this.

Best of Luck!