View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Do you believe your Higher Power to be a vital part of your recovery? No.

Originally Posted by remedy4serenity
they choose to ignore, if it includes anything to do with God.
Hi Ready.

I'm an sober atheist member of AA/NA. The faith based spirituality of the BB and steps are not ignored by me, its more of a case of 'total disinterest' for me. Like the experience of *Jimmy B, 4th original member of AA that fought to include "as we understood Him" into step 3. "Group.Of.Drunks" and "Good" along with developing a naturalist spirituality (vs a HP/G*d spirituality), has worked wonders for me and other agnostic/atheist members.

Maybe there is a "We Agnostics AA" meeting near by. You can direct those that have a different worldview to those meetings.
In AA's first years I all but ruined the whole undertaking with this sort of unconscious arrogance. God as I understood Him had to be for everybody. Sometimes my aggression was subtle and sometimes it was crude. But either way it was damaging - perhaps fatally so - to numbers of non-believers. Of course this sort of thing isn't confined to Twelfth Step work. It is very apt to leak out into our relationships with everybody. Even now, I catch myself chanting that same old barrier-building refrain, "Do as I do, believe as I do - or else!"
The Dilemma of No Faith, By Bill Wilson, AA Grapevine, April 1961
Here are some links to Agnostic/Atheist AA sites.

AA Agnostica
AA Agnostics of the San Franscisco Bay Area
"One's religious affiliation, or lack of it; one's philosophical preferences, or none; one's theistic, or agnostic, or atheistic, or pantheistic, or virtually any relatively held notion or concept of a power greater than ourselves, could bare no relevance on one's membership in the Fellowship of the Spirit, thanks to Jim Burwell."
-Bearfoot A.A. History - Jimmy B. - The Aetheist - After 19 Years
*For the new agnostic or atheist just coming in, I will try to give very briefly my milestones in recovery.
1. The first power I found greater than myself was John Barleycorn.
2. The A.A. Fellowship became my Higher Power for the first two years.
3. Gradually, I came to believe that God and Good were synonymous and were found in all of us.
4. And I found that by meditating and trying to tune in on my better self for guidance and answers, I became more comfortable and steady.
- J.B., San Diego, California.