Thread: SMART Recovery
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ToddE1

I've done SMART online meetings (and a couple f2f). I've read through all of their stuff, around this time last year when I was starting out. I liked most of it, even if I didn't end up using it in my own recovery.

The one thing I remember being stuck on, in my own head, was the VACI. I don't remember what it stands for exactly (or if I have the initials right). I think it has Vital, Creative Interest in it, Absorbing?? for the A?? Regardless, if I understand it correctly, it has to do with filling your life with an important activity as a means of personal growth, where personal growth is an important part of long term recovery. At least if I remember correctly, it's suppose be something more than just a hobby, to kill time with, but many things that look like simple hobbies, could be a VACI for some people.

Anyway I brought it up as topic a couple times in meetings, but never was really satisfied with the answers. Mainly it just sounded like people spouting off their hobbies. Here is the thing of it too. I'm not Mother Theresa. I don't mind being an OK person, maybe even a borderline good person, but I'm not saint material here. I'm fine with personal growth. To me that is something important to keep working towards. Anyway for the VACI I settled on an activity can be important to you because it is important to be doing something. But it can't be a hobby that you get stuck in a rut with. Just the act of learning something new is an aspect of growth. Once you master something though or it's run it's course you need to move on, add a new aspect or try something different. Always growing and/or learning. I added on no need to rush it or over do it, as a precaution to myself, but that isn't part of the SMART tool. Of course I might be a little far a field of the official meaning anyway. lol.