Thread: day 2
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Needtoheal

I have been on day two several times too and usually for me it is easier to stay sober for months but then I get blindsided because I haven’t learned healthy ways of dealing with my challenges and victories alike. As I reflect, a few things that I recognize as important for me to do now are having a friend/partner/sponsor that can hold me accountable during the times I get harassed by life or experience several successes. I am also making the choice to spend more time around people who consider my sobriety as important.

Today afternoon at the office I was chatting with one of the guys I drank with a lot and he was planning this epic drinking weekend for us. I politely declined and told him of the planned trips out of town for some day festivals instead of spending most of my social life in bars/people’s home getting drunk and nursing hangovers. He appreciated that and actually wants to join in though I know he’ll suggest drinking when there and that brings up my question nmp0425 and others:

how do you speak about sobriety to your former drinking mates once you choose that path? What should you (not) expect? All the times I tried this in the past I was either laughed at/hurt by friends or it was me hurting some friends tremendously as we shared so much together, for family they were extremely happy for me….are there other posts on this?