View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Ohhh (((((Madison)))))

Please, never be embarrassed. It happens to many of us, no matter how much time we have invested in our recovery and ourselves.

Example. In early 2010 I received a phone call from my 'first real love' whom I had not seen or been in contact with for 43 years. Well, yep, this old heart went 'pitty pat' and after 2 or 3 phone calls I accepted his offer to come visit him in Florida. That set off 10 months of DENIAL on my part, and getting more and more miserable. I refused to see the Elephant in the Room.

We did a lot of traveling and flying back and forth to each others homes. In early October of that year, I finally WOKE UP full force to the fact he was a 'fricking practicing alcoholic' and that was the reason we broke up so many years ago. Sheesh talk about being a 'slow learner' or 'still being in denial' IT WAS ME!!!!

I flew home and went No Contact. And it finally became apparent to me just how 'stressful' those 10 months had been (I am a diabetic and stress is NOT good for a diabetic at all!) when in early January of 2011 I ended up in the hospital for 5 days all, I believe a direct consequence of those 10 months. Continued to be on SR, but I can tell you that my Alanon meeting schedule sure picked up big time!!! lol along with my calls to my Alanon sponsor in California! I also revived my 'visits' to my therapist for almost all of 2011. All helped me to get 'back on track' and to see I was just 'human' and not "Super Woman." One more time.

So, be grateful you realized this sooner than I did, as you won't have harmed your body with that much more stress!! You opened your tool box and you will do great!

Do NOT be embarrassed! This thing called 'recovery' is a road of 'progress' not 'perfection.' We have these little 'bumps' in the road. Does not make us 'bad' people. Just makes us human and for me grateful I was not perfect (doG that would be so boring!).

Enjoy your vacation with your daughter!!!!

Welcome back!!!! We are walking with you in spirit! I am looking forward to your posts and your ES&H!

Love and hugs,