View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
soberstephanie

Red face Why do I lie when I drink?

You know, it's bad enough to wake up with a hangover, and just lay around all day feeling vomitous, but remembering the lies I told to friends and family while I was drunk just makes me want to hide my head in the sand or move to another country.

I pride myself on being an honest person, and I actually can't stand being lied to. I have no tolerance for it. But when I start drinking, the lies pour freely (like cheap liquor), and stuff I would never say or do is said and done. Ugh.

I feel so embarrassed. My anxiety level has been through the roof, and I've been beating myself up (figuratively) ever since. I was hanging out with a fairly new friend who I really like, and she means a lot to me, and now all I can think about is how stupid it was that I lied to her. And what a stupid lie! I told her and her husband I had taken boxing lessons since I was 12. I would never say something like that sober. What makes me lie when I drink?! And most importantly, what should I do now? Anyone's help and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.