View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
HitRockBottom70

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
I'd been reading various AVRT related posts, and was struck - like so many times - by the determined, dedicated, mostly unswerving belief which so many people have developed in themselves. Essentially, they have a Big Plan, and its essence is more or less the same as the mantra I heard a million times in rehab and in AA: 'don't pick up a drink NO MATTER WHAT'. Or, its corollary, in slightly different wording: 'it's the first drink which sets off the craving for more'. All of this is both psychologically, physiologically and every other '-ally' true, to be sure.
Bemyself,
It really is that simple and difficult at the same time. In my case it was making the decision to do absolutely anything to never drink again. The first step was to clear the house of all alcohol, not by drinking it, but pouring it out. There were many false starts along the way until I joined SR. I finally came to a point where I could no longer live with the madness that came with getting drunk. It was hard at first, but it really does get better. Pour that sh!t out and join us. You know everything you need to know...it's that first drink.
Wishing you well today.