View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
chrisb245

Originally Posted by snohomishaa View Post
I like this forum. I like the talk of the power to change coming from within ourselves. I went to an AA meeting and read from the book it was not for me. While I was at the meeting. I admitting I am an alcoholic. I asked how to move further without god. They could not get past what you think nothing is more powerful than you? There are a lots of things more powerful but I certainly don't see praying and turning my life over to them as helpful. No disrespect to believers intended.
Hey there,

I have been there many a time. I have struggled with the god issue and drank. In my opinion there has to be a power greater than myself to help me stop because I have tried so many times on my own self will and it didn't work.

What has worked from some is let the power of the group be your higher power. Surely the care, love and support of a group of recovering drunks can be more power than yourself when it comes to stop drinking.

Try going to a couple more meetings. Don't be afraid to talk to someone after the meeting. They have all been there.

also read the chapter of the agnostic. It helped me a great deal.