View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
squigglyline

Am I an alcoholic?

Hi,

I am no stranger to the recovery process, I have witnessed and helped family members and friends go through it. I am wondering if I have a problem, the quizzes online seem dumb to me and I have been to AA meetings and my stories do not equal theirs, but I am having a hard time understanding the lines anymore as to what constitutes an alcoholic or not. I mean, I drink every day, and I have for years. I am 30 and I don't really binge or get hammered anymore like I did in my 20s but I have 2-4 drinks every night. In the social world it seems like this is normal. Most people I know have a couple at night and then a few more at a party or whatever. I am having health problems and it would be smart for me to not consume alcohol so much but I find myself climbing the walls if I don't. Maybe it's all in my head? I spend a lot of time alone, I always have, so drinking alone is pretty standard. I just wonder what are the rules what constitutes if you are an alcoholic or not? I mean wanting help is a sign, and realizing it isn't easy to avoid alcohol is a sign, but what sort of people can have a drink most days and they are ok? are there alcoholics out there who never hurt anyone or got arrested but they just survive with alcohol being a part of their lives?
I know the word functioning alcoholic but that seems to only mean hold down a job- and I know full blown alcoholics that start drinking at 11am who hold high positions, so that confuses me too.

just looking for clarification I guess and wondering if I have a problem.

thank you, this seems like a really great site.