Old 04-18-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TheJungianThing

One of the strangest experiences I've had in my ten years is this. I had a resentment against someone in our area, but "didn't know where to put it" because everyone knew the guy and I didn't want to besmearch his name in the area. I sat on it for awhile but stopped talking to him. Eventually I stopped going to meetings. I hadn't been to a meeting in about a month and a half and was driving by a bar, while drinking a diet coke.

The soda was cold and bubbly - getting those refreshing tingles down my throat - but my thoughts turned to this fierce "wish" that it was beer instead. I was at a traffic light and could peer into the window watching others drink with impunity. My cell phone rang.

It was that dude. We resolved the issue. I didn't drink. I got back to meetings and grabbed a dude up and worked the steps with him.

I was @3-4 years sober.

There's been scattered times of other interesting experiences along those lines. Some when I'm "spiritually fit" because no coincidental phone call rescued me but I felt "protected".

It'll pass. The work out of the book, meetings, frequent contact with fellows - new and old - all helps.

Good luck man.