View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jeni26

Speaking as someone who hasn't just sailed through the steps, who has struggled and questioned every single concept that has been suggested to me, I still need reminders of the past and how it was for me. I no longer need the drunkalogs so much, but I did when I was newly sober because it proved to me time and time again that I was in the right place. Every time I questioned whether I was really an alcoholic, I heard someone talk about themselves and by doing so, they perfectly described me. I couldn't stand the old timers at first with their serenity and their talk of spiritual enlightenment because that seemed an impossibility for me to achieve. I thought they had been brainwashed!
Meetings that focus solely on the solution may seem so far out of reach for newcomers they may actually be off-putting.
When a newbie starts at my home group, my sponsor really encourages me to share, because my drinking days are not so far in the past I don't remember them in great agonising detail, and my journey in lots of ways is still at the beginning. I haven't found it easy, but my spiritual journey and faith is still a total wonder to me. And my total belief that this programme works, even for someone as bloody stubborn as me, can hopefully help them.
So no, I don't think we should focus on the difficulties, but they should still be acknowledged, that combined with the solution should go hand in hand.