View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
DG0409

Day 9

Well, Day 9 is about over. Hard to believe I have 9 days in some ways!! This wasn't quite something I had planned it just happened after a bad night's drinking and things getting out of control with my bf. So in a way, it's almost surprising to realize that I am here with 9 days alcohol free!! I've spent so long saying, "I need to quit drinking" or "I need to drink less." It's strange to just be not drinking.

I can feel my brain and body getting better. I've been getting plenty of exercise and eating well. I look better. I've lost a little weight. I sleep better, although tonight I fell asleep right after dinner and now I'm awake again and wondering how I'm ever going to get back to sleep tonight at a reasonable hour.

I notice myself thinking more, imagining more, day-dreaming more. I've had strange fantasies. I think it's just my brain starting to kick into gear again, like starting the AC at the beginning of the summer and a bunch of dust blows out of the ducts first thing.

I am trying to ease myself back into the responsibilities of real life more and more... the first few days, I was really focused on nothing but not drinking and trying to take care of basic aspects of my health like eating and drinking water.

I read that nuts help with PAWS so I bought some at the store today and now I'm munching on them while I write. I try to engage myself actively in recovery behaviors and thoughts almost constantly. I think all day about drinking water, not getting too hungry, getting exercise. I try to watch my negative thoughts that might cause me to drink. I post on SR. And they are all helping! It feels good each time I make a good decision, even if it's a little decision. I feel like I'm making progress.

Proud of my 9 days!!